Crazy thought...totally crazy!

Let's keep this section for moto-talk only folks.

Moderators: NinjaMama, Fanny Fligurl, Officers

LadyRider600rr

Crazy thought...totally crazy!

#1 Post by LadyRider600rr » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:50 pm

So....I think in a previous post I had said "There is no way in the world I would ever do this again."

But I am thinking of rebuilding another bike. I know...crazy. And I might change my mind tomorrow. :argue <--- = Me and Me

I love my Roxie....I do. And I don't plan on doing this anytime soon. I am thinking in about a year I will start looking. And I am aspiring to rebuild an 07-09 600rr or 1000rr but I am not trying to be choosy....I will be more flexible this time but that is my dream bike (phoenix edition fairings would be nice). I guess I am thinking about the fact that she has all sorts of emotional problems and a junk title and it sure would be nice to upgrade. I am thinking if I do it in about one year, I will have enough saved up to do it without ever having to sell my bike. This will be ideal since I would have to sell it for maybe 2000 when I spent 5000 total to rebuild it. So here is my list of pros and cons: Please add to either list as you see fit.

Pros: :lol:

*Obviously a nicer, hopefully happier bike with less problems
*Clean title (as long as I buy a bike from crooks. This time I would take the title in first instead of after its already built)
*I can learn even more than I did before
*If I can come across a 1000, I would be able to finally upgrade from a 600, because I personally think I am ready...I really want to stick with honda...But if I came across a GSX-R750...I might be okay with upgrading to that. I would also be okay with another 600rr as long as its a newer bike
*I could do this without selling my bike, which means that whenever I get frustrated, I could put down the wrench, and go get on Roxie and blow off steam and come back. Something I couldn't do when I was building Roxie. This is a huge factor in what made the project so heartbreaking.

Cons: :cry:

*Roxie was my single most frustrating endeavor I have ever embarked upon in my entire life, bar none...I would have to do this again.

I guess I can't think of any other bad reasons....but I am interested in your thoughts.
Jessica Haverty

"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."

sexy_raiderette
CU Supporter

Re: Crazy thought...totally crazy!

#2 Post by sexy_raiderette » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:36 am

You are too too funny. Your poor roxie! Give her love and already.thinkn of another.....ha ha. Sounds like a fun project. Just do what makes u happy.and find what u want and make it work ;-)
Daisy R
'09 Yamaha FZ6R....GRAB A FIST FULL!!!

"If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is compromise." -Robert Fritz

LadyRider600rr

#3 Post by LadyRider600rr » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:37 am

I think you are right. I want another bike, I just am contemplating whether or not I am capable of going through that whole process again. Perhaps I should just buy one at some point. I don't know. I did learn so much. I am thinking if I do that, I wont sell Roxie, but turn her into a strictly race bike and start doing that.

Honestly, I don't think I could ever part with Roxie.....First I had Tori, she was CBR F3. And I cried like a baby. And so then I bought Izzy, She was a CBR F4i. I sold her and I also cried like a baby. So I bought The frame and engine which became Roxie....now that I have put blood, sweat and tears into her, i don't think I could ever let her go without having a breakdown. I think I will keep her forever. Maybe in 20 years I will have a kid that will like to ride it. Lmao.
Jessica Haverty

NinjaMama
Vice President

#4 Post by NinjaMama » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:23 am

My goodness you are tenacious!
I'd say, "Go for it!" It's a great learning experience. It can only help expand your knowledge.
Sabrina fair...
Listen where thou art sitting
under the glassie, cool, translucent wave,
in twisted braids of lillies knitting
the loose train of thy amber-dropping hair.

My Avatar is by http://enayla.deviantart.com/. She painted the entire image with Photoshop and a graphics tablet. Do yourself a favor and click on her name.

LadyRider600rr

#5 Post by LadyRider600rr » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:43 am

Thanks! It will be about a year before I can do it but I think I will!
Jessica Haverty

sexy_raiderette
CU Supporter

#6 Post by sexy_raiderette » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:26 pm

Lol. No crying! Those are tears of joy ur bikes have given you. Emotional attachment for you mechanical accomplishments hee hee. That's all good stuff sister! :D
Daisy R

"If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is compromise." -Robert Fritz

Fanny Fligurl
President

#7 Post by Fanny Fligurl » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:46 pm

Ummmm....no. I vote a big fat NO on this one sister. Tenacity is one thing, but we want you in a good mood for goodness sake! llol No more wrenching from the ground up for awhile. :lol:
Humanity is a terrible thing to waste. Be patient, treat others with respect, and ride like you borrowed it indefinitely!

LadyRider600rr

#8 Post by LadyRider600rr » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:17 pm

lmao....That is definitely a good one for the con side. I was hoping still having a rideable bike would ease that problem but I do forecast being angry a lot if I do another undertaking like Roxie....maybe if I can just find one that i really like that just needs a liiiiiittle work...
Jessica Haverty

sexy_raiderette
CU Supporter

#9 Post by sexy_raiderette » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:44 pm

Your new nickname gunna be wrenchAholic. LOL
:wink: :lol:
Daisy R

LadyRider600rr

#10 Post by LadyRider600rr » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:03 pm

lol I do think I have a little bit of an itch to get back to wrenching! :wink: I sorta need a fix! I have a bunch of stuff "watched" on eBay right now and my trigger finger is just dying to click away on new head bearings, fairings, bar ends, solo seat cowl, and now a new speedo. I had gotten a new speedometer during the rebuild and since I would putting a lot of red stuff on the bike I thought it would be cool to install a red LED conversion kit on the speedo in place of all the amber lights. So it took a lot of soldering and crap but it worked and at first it looked really cool to have bright red lights. But over time some of the lights slowly started going out. I guess the soldering wasn't good (Dan did it for me and neither of us had ever done anything like that before) and the connections probably were lost. so now at night, all I can see is my speed and anything over 13 rpms. Temp, Fuel, and whatever else is on the left side is all gone. Plus I broke the plastic lens one day when I was wrenching on something else.... microwave .... I looked on eBay for speedos and I can't find one for less than 250 dollars. I am thinking it might be cheaper to get another red conversion kit and just get it reinstalled professionally. I just don't know who to go to for that??? A computer person. Patty J? Maybe you know? Didn't you say you work with computer insides and stuff?

sooooo I have an itch to get back to the project, frustrating as it may be. I love it. Even when I get frustrated, once I have accomplished each task, I get this sense of empowerment that makes up for everything. I am thinking now that maybe I don't need to rebuild a bike from the ground up, but if I can find a bike that I really like that just needs a little or maybe a lot of love, I can do that. Just some minor to moderate repairs and replacements. No complete rebuilds. Who knows. It will still be a year away. I will re-evaluate then. But in the meantime I am always open to suggestions....

I am also open to what you guys think about which bikes to look into. Personally. My dream bike is a 2009 Honda CBR1000RR Phoenix Edition. Ideally, this is what I want. I have had a CBRF3, F4i, and now the 600RR. I LOVED all my Honda's I am convinced that is what I will always ride. I have worked on all types of bikes and sat on all of them. Honda's were the only bikes I could sit on at stock height and get any sort of contact with the ground. I guess that is what initially drew them to me. So the question is. If you ride a Kawi, Suzuki, or Yamaha....what is it that makes you an advocate for that brand? If you were a sales person, and I was buying your bike, what would you say to me to persuade me to switch from a Honda to your brand? Keeping in mind that I kind of want to move up to a 1000, but am open to staying at a 600, moving up to a 636, 700, or 750 if I am sold on it. Being that I never rode anything but a CBR600, I've never experienced anything else. All I know is the following.

Ninjas: I am picky about them...I would only ride a 636, zx6, zx7 or or zx10. Otherwise I am not fond of the style.

GSX-Rs: I can't ever reach the ground stock, nowhere close. I would need lowering links.

R6/R1: I have heard that the riding position is uncomfortable for some people on the wrists and back, more so than on other bikes.

Sorry this is long...I'm up late, anxious....I have a minor surgery tomorrow and I tend to be chatty, and ramble when I am nervous....So here i am. Anyway. Love the advice, keep it coming!
Jessica Haverty

maygoddess

#11 Post by maygoddess » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:23 am

""GSX-Rs: I can't ever reach the ground stock, nowhere close. I would need lowering links"".

Wow girl..you are tenacious!!! I vote with Amy...at least for now...enjoy Roxie...fix her up...and maybe look at a nice used bike that maybe does not need as much work on it.

As for the GSX-R and why I personally chose it...a few reasons:

When I was wanting my OWN ride and to stop being a girl on back..the guy owns 3 gixxers..a 6, 750 and 1. I rode on his back on the 750 and 1 only and he rode me on MY 6 a few times when I first got her and needed a lift to a practice lot! He influenced me towards Gixxers BUT I still did some research and sat on ALL comparable bikes...Honda, Yamaha, Kawi...and by far the Gixxer felt like it just "fit me". The seat is narrower so gives you more leg to the ground clearance. It does have a 31.9 seat height...my inseam I believe is about 30ish. This was my biggest issue with the bike..my lack of total confidence if I could not FULLY touch the ground..and NOT by "side saddling" it. I bought wedge heel riding boots, i had Dave Moss adjust supension and SAG and that dropped the bike and finally just shaved the seat down an inch..and that finally gave me more confidence with the bike!SHe is a whole new ride now! I didn't want to do lowering links unless everything else failed to work.

My friend with the 3 gixxers also has many miles on them...80K on the 750...all HIS miles...so I know if well maintained...it would last. He also told me they are easy to work on. In comparison to other brands...who knows..may be the same...but after shopping around and sitting on bikes and reading...the Gixxer was still calling to me! I love it now that I have more leg to the ground and cannot wait to get her on a racetrack!!

I love the idea of learning to wrench on bikes..and fix wha I can..but for me..I liked starting out new for both bikes because of my still limited mileage..and I really want more time on the bikes..not standing next to it..working on whatever else is currently wrong with it. I have BARF friends with older bikes...and seems they have alot more "off the bike, waiting for parts" time than I do!! :D I am too old and an impatient Gemini to sit around for parts and fixes!!

PattyA

HoneyBadger
Contributing Member

#12 Post by HoneyBadger » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:51 am

I'll third the vote of working through your issues with Roxie first...did you ever get your valves checked? Most bikes need that done every 8-15K miles, and if she hasn't had one done in 6 years, that may alleviate a LOT of your problems.

As for why I chose Kawi: my first bike was my old ZX6R that James is now riding. I put that poor bike through hell and back, and it still kept on going - still is for that matter :). I decided about 2 years ago I wanted to step up to a liter bike because the 600's are simply a little small with my leg length and I wanted to start doing longer rides all over the bay area, but being cramped up on the 600 all day was, simply, extraordinarily painful with my knees - that, and holding it open for a 1-2 hour slab ride was tiring.

I started looking around, and early spring 2010 I found a beautiful CBR100RR with a great price. Swooped it up. Loved that bike while I had it - it was a very nice step up from my cranky, torquey, bored-out 600. Of the liter bikes, it's one of the most forgiving, with a nice even power band that's a little less likely to get someone into trouble. Unfortunately, as a used bike, someone had apparently abused it, and while out on a ride the rear rim broke while standing it out of a corner, and the insurance totaled it.

I decided I wanted to go back to Kawi - that rim break spooked me, and my old Kawi's longevity had me sold on the brand. That's when I picked up my current bike.

Comments about my current bike (neither positive nor negative, just what it is):
-It's an angry, unforgiving machine. The closest thing to a formula race bike that ever made it out onto the streets. You do something stupid, it's not going to warn you, it's just going to pitch your ass. They didn't call it the "Widow Maker" for no reason.
-The power is stupidly awesome. Stock, there was ZERO low end and then all hell broke loose at about 6K RPM. I've pulled the secondaries, -1 +2 on the gearing, and added a power commander. This has given me a lot more low end, but basically it made the bike twitchier, and now all hell breaks loose at about 4-5K RPM, and I lost top end speed (which isn't really an issue, where the hell am I going to top 160mph?).
-It's a tall bike. I can just flat foot it, and I have a 34" inseam. It also turns better with a 190/55 profile tire (as opposed to the stock size of 190/50) which sits the bike up just a bit more yet. In my riding boots I can flat foot it on relatively level surfaces, but I've been riding long enough that this usually isn't an issue for me too much anymore. Knock on wood, I haven't dropped this bike yet.
-Parts and such are easy to find. We also have a great dealer right here in town, so I can always go there if I absolutely need to.

I did test ride the new 10R. It's a little less twitchy than my bike, but seems to have retained that traditional Kawasaki torque, just a little milder than what's on my bike. It comes pre-loaded with 3 different maps that you can use to change the power output - James said that the rain version definitely dialed down the raw power, making the bike a lot friendlier (I didn't play around with the maps since I wanted to compare it's normal mode with my bike). Optional ABS for those who want it (I would like it on a rear brake, but not the front). A little shorter than my bike. Both James and I said that if we were to buy one, however, there would be several thousand dollars in mods that we would also immediately make - mirrors (they have great vision, but are butt ugly), exhaust (ugly, and you could tell it dials down the power output), fender eliminator (again, just ugly crap hanging off the ass of the bike). Also limited color/graphics choices.

But if you want a bike that will take a licking and keep on ticking, Kawi really is the best choice. My old 600 has around 70,000 miles on it, and is still going. One of the valves is maxed out on adjustments, so not sure how long it'll keep going for that reason since replacing that stuff would be a project we don't have the time or money for, plus with the $$ we'd sink into it, we could have a pretty hefty down payment on a new bike. If we had done valves when they were supposed to have been done (no one told us about that bit of maintenance) it may have lasted even longer than it has already.
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul." ~Unknown

2017 Kawasaki ZX10R (race)
2016 Kawasaki ZX10R (street/B bike)

My Journey Towards Road Racing Blog:
http://honeybadger302.blogspot.com/?m=1

LadyRider600rr

#13 Post by LadyRider600rr » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:09 pm

I haven't had the valve checked yet. But mind you she doesn't even have 7000 miles on her. She is 6 years old but sat for five years. But I do not plan on taking a new girl until I've perfected Roxie or decided her issues can't be fixed. I'm agreeing with you all for sure.

All that info about kawis was helpful. Dan is a huge ninja zx7 fan. His is a 91 and that is his dream bike (of course just one in mint condition). He is a fan of kawi too and I can tell that longevity is a quality especially after your post. I worked on a 2005 zx636 that I liked but never rode because it was a friends. But I could touch the ground (I think it was lowered) and i liked the body, I could see my self on one for sure and your words of wisdom are very helpful!

If I move up to a liter, I need something forgiving. My 600 has some pep and sometimes I hit my power band too easy and surpass myself. There have been a couple times I've felt the compression on the front end lift Like she was trying to wheelie on me. dan *tsk tsk*s me for that and still wanting a bigger bike.
Jessica Haverty

LadyGadget

#14 Post by LadyGadget » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:43 pm

Ok, now for the crazy lady to chime in.....

While all you sensible women are quite correct in advising Jessica to wait a while and fix Roxie, I totally understand how Jess feels.

I've started and completed all different kind of projects. I've built a recumbent bike from scratch, learning how it worked, gearing, etc. I restored a Workman tricycle I picked up for $40 and a Raleigh Twenty (ca. 1971) foldable bicycle. I've built a lap steel guitar from a piece of mahogany, spec'd the pickups and controls. It came out so well that my cousin is using it in her recording studio up in Seattle. Too bad I don't have patience to learn how to play it, LOL! I learned how to turn wood, which was a blast to see a chunk of wood become something awesome right before your eyes. (My lathe is now ER6nie....), I've rebuilt more than a few electric guitars and plan to do it again soon. Do I have strange, eclectic curiosity? Maybe. ADD? Most likely.

The thing I learned from all that is the journey is as or even more fun then using/riding/playing final product. I think that's what you're feeling Jessica! And I get the part about having a bike while you're building the next one.

You need to look at the expense, time, and effort carefully. If you believe you can handle the frustration as well as the above aspects, I say, look for a good "shell" bike, and slowly acquire all the bits as you go. I know you have a place to do the work (which is so awesome!) and store the parts, you're good there.

I don't know, maybe it's because when you get older (at least older than most of you here), you realize what the hell, I can do it so why not? I really like and admire how NOT afraid you are Jessica. I say go for it.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass..
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

LadyGadget

#15 Post by LadyGadget » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:48 pm

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass..
It's about learning to dance in the rain.