Is bigger always better? Question about tire size

Let's keep this section for moto-talk only folks.

Moderators: NinjaMama, Fanny Fligurl, Officers

chiconaduc
CU Supporter

Is bigger always better? Question about tire size

#1 Post by chiconaduc » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:52 pm

I've got my new rear tire all picked out--Pirelli Angel ST, but am not sure what size to go with.
I currently run a 160/60/17 on the rear. I was told that I can go as big as 180, but I am wondering what the pros and cons of going up in size are?
Wren
Kiss French, eat Italian, ride British!

"Curve: The loveliest distance between two points." -Mae West

LadyGadget

Re: Is bigger always better? Question about tire size

#2 Post by LadyGadget » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:50 pm

I think the next size might make your bike a little more stable on the roads of California. But what do I know??
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass..
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

HoneyBadger
Contributing Member

#3 Post by HoneyBadger » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:54 pm

If your bike can handle it I'd step up to a 170/50 or 55 depending on what's available. You'll probably find it more stable in the twisties with more available lean before hitting the edge. Jumping up two sizes can make changing tires a pain, but one size would be good over a 160.
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul." ~Unknown

2017 Kawasaki ZX10R (race)
2016 Kawasaki ZX10R (street/B bike)

My Journey Towards Road Racing Blog:
http://honeybadger302.blogspot.com/?m=1

Fanny Fligurl
President

#4 Post by Fanny Fligurl » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:20 pm

Go 170 sis. As noted above, you'll have more available rubber to the road while leaning. I would also recommend a dual-compound tire (hard center, softer sidewall) to accommodate both leisurely jaunts and more aggressive twisties. To be frank, ANYTHING is better that that damn square tire you have right now. I can't imagine the "lean-lean-sudden dive" sensation you've been dealing with. You might as well throw a wagon wheel on that puppy. :lol:
Humanity is a terrible thing to waste. Be patient, treat others with respect, and ride like you borrowed it indefinitely!

CrashDummy
CU Supporter

#5 Post by CrashDummy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:48 pm

Wren, I was going to recommend a dual compound on the rear and a wagon wheel on the front but Amy beat me to it. You are lucky to have such an intelligent, beautiful and humorous president. It seems bigger is better.
How to make a small fortune racing ... start with a large one.

Go into a corner with a little less speed and come out faster

chiconaduc
CU Supporter

#6 Post by chiconaduc » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:17 pm

HoneyBadger wrote:If your bike can handle it I'd step up to a 170/50 or 55 depending on what's available. You'll probably find it more stable in the twisties with more available lean before hitting the edge. Jumping up two sizes can make changing tires a pain, but one size would be good over a 160.
So you're saying that I should go wider and shorter, or is the difference between 160/60 and 170/50 pretty negligible?
Wren
Kiss French, eat Italian, ride British!

"Curve: The loveliest distance between two points." -Mae West

HoneyBadger
Contributing Member

#7 Post by HoneyBadger » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:48 pm

chiconaduc wrote:
HoneyBadger wrote:If your bike can handle it I'd step up to a 170/50 or 55 depending on what's available. You'll probably find it more stable in the twisties with more available lean before hitting the edge. Jumping up two sizes can make changing tires a pain, but one size would be good over a 160.
So you're saying that I should go wider and shorter, or is the difference between 160/60 and 170/50 pretty negligible?
The second number is a percentage of the width...and tire profile will play a huge role. Your current cruiser style tires have a high sidewall, but not much useable side area compared to the average sport/sport touring tire. It may be "shorter" overall, but profile plays a lot into how a tire rides. A 170/55 will be almost as tall overall, but you may gain a significant amount of useable realestate with the new tire profile, even on a "shorter" tire
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul." ~Unknown

2017 Kawasaki ZX10R (race)
2016 Kawasaki ZX10R (street/B bike)

My Journey Towards Road Racing Blog:
http://honeybadger302.blogspot.com/?m=1