Does Wren know this?

Let's keep this section for moto-talk only folks.

Moderators: NinjaMama, Fanny Fligurl, Officers

CrashDummy
CU Supporter

Does Wren know this?

#1 Post by CrashDummy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:18 am

Today, every guy who hits the jackpot buys a Ducati. It is the status symbol street bike of the modern era. Guess what? 40 years ago, Ducati build the status symbol dirt bike of the Golden Era of motocross. Except that no one bought it (and it only lasted one season). Ducati sprang to life by making a small bicycle engine to transport war-ravaged Italian citizens. The 1946 Cucciolo (little puppy) engine was sold in a box to be attached to a bicycle. Before WWII, Ducati had produced radio tubes and condensers, but with the Cucciolo's success, Ducati became a motorcycle manufacturer. Ducati’s breakout moment was when engineer Fabio Taglioni was hired. Taglioni's big idea was to control valve float by having the valves positively opened and closed without valve springs. Taglioni’s Desmodromic system prevented valve float. Valve float can cause both a collision between the piston and valve and poor valve seal. The Desmodromic system uses dual rocker arms on each valve (one for opening and one for closing the valve). The 1971 Ducati 450 R/T was the only motocross bike ever fitted with Desmodromic valves.
How to make a small fortune racing ... start with a large one.

Go into a corner with a little less speed and come out faster

chiconaduc
CU Supporter

Re: Does Wren know this?

#2 Post by chiconaduc » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:49 pm

I knew most of it, except about the motocross stuff and that Cucciolo means puppy in Italian.
I would love to get my hands on a Cucciolo engine, if any of them still exist, and a Ducati radio from the 40's.
Wren
Kiss French, eat Italian, ride British!

"Curve: The loveliest distance between two points." -Mae West