Newbie needs advise on gloves

Let's keep this section for moto-talk only folks.

Moderators: NinjaMama, Fanny Fligurl, Officers

abl_star

Newbie needs advise on gloves

#1 Post by abl_star » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:38 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm working on getting my learner's permit to ride a motorcycle. I'm shopping around for gloves but I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the variety and choices available. When I walk into a store, the first question I am asked is,"what are you looking for". Any advice on what I should look for in motorcycle gloves?
Shari (abl_star)

Special K
CU Supporter

Re: Newbie needs advise on gloves

#2 Post by Special K » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:12 pm

My two cents? Buy the best gear you can afford. How much are your hands worth to you? :grin:

I have two pairs of the Alpinestars Stella GP Plus... one pair in black and one pair in white. They're super comfy for me.
http://www.compacc.com/p/alpinestars-st ... MgodGywAQQ

I have different gloves for winter because these are NOT warm enough in cold weather.
Kelly
2011 GSX-R 750
2003 Ninja 250 (buh-bye!)
AMA #2787667
Two wrongs don't make a right. But three lefts do.

NinjaMama
Vice President

#3 Post by NinjaMama » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:22 am

Flexibility is something I want in a glove. I want to be able to feel the controls as much as I can through the gloves. So for me, it's protection, quality and materials that I look for. My main gloves are Dainese full gauntlet. I also have a pair of Icon shorty-perforated for warmer weather.
Make sure they fit, so buying on-line isn't a good idea in my opinion.
Hope this helps too.
Sabrina
Sabrina fair...
Listen where thou art sitting
under the glassie, cool, translucent wave,
in twisted braids of lillies knitting
the loose train of thy amber-dropping hair.

My Avatar is by http://enayla.deviantart.com/. She painted the entire image with Photoshop and a graphics tablet. Do yourself a favor and click on her name.

BigSky
Secretary

#4 Post by BigSky » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:11 pm

Hi Shari!

Gloves are tough. I agree with the ladies above. For my daily commute, I bought an insulated pair for colder weather. When I'm doing full-on rides or track days, I wear mens dainese leather gloves. These are ventilated.

You may want to visit our friend Maggie who works at Scuderia in SF. She can help.

Keep us updated!
Jen L.
Yamaha FZ-09

Motomom
CU Supporter

#5 Post by Motomom » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:20 pm

BigSky wrote: You may want to visit our friend Maggie who works at Scuderia in SF.
I got my newest pair of gloves just in time from Scuderia West for the Bridgeport ride in September. The thing is to try on gloves and take a minute to walk over to some bikes to actually position them like you are truly pulling levers to see more of what they feel like as you use them... Just my two cents...
Tina....

Settle for nothing, Strive for everything!!

maguar
Hangaround

#6 Post by maguar » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:39 pm

BigSky wrote:Hi Shari!

Gloves are tough. I agree with the ladies above. For my daily commute, I bought an insulated pair for colder weather. When I'm doing full-on rides or track days, I wear mens dainese leather gloves. These are ventilated.

You may want to visit our friend Maggie who works at Scuderia in SF. She can help.

Keep us updated!

Any and all questions are always welcome :)
I'm at the shop Tuesday-Saturday, swing by or drop a line maggieb@scuderiawest.com
Hope to see you again soon!

Rollin on 3
CU Supporter

#7 Post by Rollin on 3 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:15 pm

maguar wrote:

Keep us updated!

I'm at the shop Tuesday-Saturday, swing by or drop a line maggieb@scuderiawest.com

I need new gloves, is there a layway plan at the shop? lol
I hope to come by soon, ooo maybe this Friday I will be in the city:)
Just Rollin
~Anamarie~

maguar
Hangaround

#8 Post by maguar » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:07 pm

Rollin on 3 wrote:
maguar wrote:

Keep us updated!

I need new gloves, is there a layway plan at the shop? lol
I hope to come by soon, ooo maybe this Friday I will be in the city:)

Insider scoop... I think we are marking some stuff down Friday and Saturday after T-Day. Not sure on details yet, but it might be a good time to stop in :)