Riding Skills Series: Group Study

Post your technique questions here!

Moderators: NinjaMama, Fanny Fligurl, Officers

Message
Author
User avatar
Big Cory
CU Supporter
Posts: 2020
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:28 pm
Location: Im Stuck at work , Damn It
Contact:

#16 Post by Big Cory » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:50 pm

Flap wrote:
BigCorySBFMC707 wrote:that is just the camera angle, trust me, we ride side by side.
Hahaha, I know, I was trying to pull your leg a little... :mrgreen:
BigCorySBFMC707 wrote:And if that was just SBF in the picture, there would be about 30 more bikes in the same amount of space, 8)
Nice! I used to love riding with my boys from the 12-riders team, we were always between 35 and 55 bikes, depending on attendance. When the first ones drove already out of countryside towns the last ones were just about to enter it, loved it. Big bikes with big sound, something I'll never forget, and all of them very fast and proficient riders, we hauled ass on the roads. Well, that is history for me now. :cry:
If you are nice to me, I will let you ride with me, lmao :LoL

And since we are the only ones on here today, let me wish you a very safe and fun weekend, lol
Big Cory
SBFreaks MC
National Treasurer
Image

User avatar
Jezebel
CU Supporter
Posts: 2070
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:26 pm
Location: Alameda, CA

#17 Post by Jezebel » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:47 pm

I dunno - slower in front is good for hiking but I dunno about for riding. If I'm slower, I don't want faster riders behind me, too much pressure. I'd just as soon let them go by so they can have fun and then I can ride at the pace I feel comfortable with.
Granted, if its a big group ride or event, then that changes things and no one should really be doing anything that any rider wouldn't be able to keep up with, but up in the twisties with friends - faster go first, and thank goodness for 2-way radios, sweepers and crash trucks!

My .02
The fire you kindle for your enemy often burns you more than him.

User avatar
MistrissKittie
Curvalicious
Posts: 7385
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:53 am
Location: San Leandro, CA
Contact:

#18 Post by MistrissKittie » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:42 pm

BigCorySBFMC707 wrote:Sorta Like this.
8th row, black jacket, red bike, Yours Truly

Image
Well the sac to bay limits riding in staggered. As its 5mph on the freeway and 1000 PLUS riders, you done have a choice but to ride side by side. There's also a lot of crashes too! AND CHP escorted

But when its just me and my favorite riding buddies, we can practicly ride blind folded together. But when you get 7+ people.. there are some courtesy rules to follow. Just because there are more people to deal with than just one on one.

If your not as comfortable riding at a faster pace, then yes riding in the front and dealing with that pressure can make you ride OUTSIDE your liimits. Why do that to yourself. Plus If I have some NOOB on my ass trying to ride at a faster pace and I know they can't control or react if something serious happens. I will gladly wave them by and let them do whatever they want.

Exactly why I'm starting to post information like this article. Can never have too much education. Or constructive critisizm. There's always something to learn!!
ImageImage

User avatar
Big Cory
CU Supporter
Posts: 2020
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:28 pm
Location: Im Stuck at work , Damn It
Contact:

#19 Post by Big Cory » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:42 am

I just posted that pic as an example. As stated in every post, staggered is the safer way to go. We have never been accused of being safe but it works for us.

And as far as I know, we didint have any crashes on last years sac to the bay. The year before we had a few but considering over 3500 bikes with all levels of riding, that is pretty damn good.

Myself. In the twisties, I would probably ride near the back. It is hard to keep up with the lighter gixxer 1000s and the pro riders that we have. Now on the highway, you know I will be up front every time.

So it is all about what you are comfortable with like Jessi said.
Big Cory
SBFreaks MC
National Treasurer
Image

User avatar
Flap
Curvalicious
Posts: 1591
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:39 am
Location: on the move again ;)

#20 Post by Flap » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:56 pm

Jezebel wrote:I dunno - slower in front is good for hiking but I dunno about for riding. If I'm slower, I don't want faster riders behind me, too much pressure. I'd just as soon let them go by so they can have fun and then I can ride at the pace I feel comfortable with.
That rule I talked about applies only, if you are in the same group and intend to stay together. Of course, if you put the faster riders up front the group usually splits in at least two halves. If you go it that way you should have that designated "last fast rider before the slower ones" that can lead the slower (newbie?) group safely to the next meeting place.
http://www.myspace.com/tkdflap
-------------------------------------------
"Idiots are fun - no wonder every village wants one..." :mrgreen:
(House)

User avatar
Big Cory
CU Supporter
Posts: 2020
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:28 pm
Location: Im Stuck at work , Damn It
Contact:

#21 Post by Big Cory » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:28 pm

I was reading on the barf board today and it says that there were 6 crashes on 2 different group rides this weekend. One went over a 15 foot ditch and one had to be life flighted to the hospital. They must have been staggered, lol
Big Cory
SBFreaks MC
National Treasurer
Image

User avatar
Toothpick Ted
Posts: 3954
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:58 pm
Location: San Jose
Contact:

#22 Post by Toothpick Ted » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:36 pm

BigCorySBFMC707 wrote:And as far as I know, we didint have any crashes on last years sac to the bay. The year before we had a few but considering over 3500 bikes with all levels of riding, that is pretty damn good.
Actually, I joined in at the Pleasanton spot and I know there was a narly crash right on the freeway on-ramp (leaving the spot). I believe it was a "bike vs car" situation.

-T

User avatar
Big Cory
CU Supporter
Posts: 2020
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:28 pm
Location: Im Stuck at work , Damn It
Contact:

#23 Post by Big Cory » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:43 pm

Toothpick Ted wrote:
BigCorySBFMC707 wrote:And as far as I know, we didint have any crashes on last years sac to the bay. The year before we had a few but considering over 3500 bikes with all levels of riding, that is pretty damn good.
Actually, I joined in at the Pleasanton spot and I know there was a narly crash right on the freeway on-ramp (leaving the spot). I believe it was a "bike vs car" situation.

-T
you know what, I remember that one now, but still one wreck and that was it. Not to mention, the car was sitting on the side of the road and the bike just ran up and hit it. Never did figure that one out. But that has nothing to do with the ride, just somebody not looking where they were going.
Big Cory
SBFreaks MC
National Treasurer
Image

User avatar
Jezebel
CU Supporter
Posts: 2070
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:26 pm
Location: Alameda, CA

#24 Post by Jezebel » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:13 pm

Well you are both sort of correct - I was there when the accident happened, riding with Letty who actually pulled over to see if the guy was ok. The car wasn't on the side of the road, it was like the second lane in and I have no idea what happened but I do know that it didn't have anything to do with the riders riding staggered or not. But for sure, 1 wreck not involving any other bikes with that many riders - crazy.

And on another note, I know that when people are stuck in traffic, they are more likely to crash because they stop paying as much attention and it's more congested (stop and go) so the wrecks are not as bad but they are more frequent. I don't know if that translates to a slow ride but I do know that I damn near rear ended the rider in front of me a few times because I was busy waving to the enthusiasts on the side of the road :) :oops: :)

Gotta luv being able to stop on a dime!

@ Flap - I'm with you when it comes to having someone lead the slower riders as well. That's usually how we do it on our group rides and it works out nicely.
The fire you kindle for your enemy often burns you more than him.

User avatar
Big Cory
CU Supporter
Posts: 2020
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:28 pm
Location: Im Stuck at work , Damn It
Contact:

#25 Post by Big Cory » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:04 pm

Jezebel wrote:Well you are both sort of correct - I was there when the accident happened, riding with Letty who actually pulled over to see if the guy was ok. The car wasn't on the side of the road, it was like the second lane in and I have no idea what happened but I do know that it didn't have anything to do with the riders riding staggered or not. But for sure, 1 wreck not involving any other bikes with that many riders - crazy.

And on another note, I know that when people are stuck in traffic, they are more likely to crash because they stop paying as much attention and it's more congested (stop and go) so the wrecks are not as bad but they are more frequent. I don't know if that translates to a slow ride but I do know that I damn near rear ended the rider in front of me a few times because I was busy waving to the enthusiasts on the side of the road :) :oops: :)

Gotta luv being able to stop on a dime!

@ Flap - I'm with you when it comes to having someone lead the slower riders as well. That's usually how we do it on our group rides and it works out nicely.
well it was on the side of the road when i rode by it damn it, lol
Big Cory
SBFreaks MC
National Treasurer
Image

Post Reply