Newbie from Oakland

Please tell us a little about yourself and what brought you here. We'd love to hear it!

Moderators: NinjaMama, Fanny Fligurl, Officers

abl_star

Newbie from Oakland

#1 Post by abl_star » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:18 pm

Hi Everyone,

My name is Shari and I am in the process of getting my Class M1 license. My user name (abl_star) is an email address. ABL stands for Automated Business Logic, a company my husband helped start. Star is just my first initial and the first syllable of my last name. The photo below is of me, as a kid, sitting on my brother's bike. I don't know how old I was when this photo was taken.

Getting my motorcycle license is one of those things that has been on my Bucket List for a very long time. When I was a kid, my Dad and my big brother rode dirt bikes on the weekend. When I was old enough, Dad would let me ride my brother's little mini bike in the backyard. When I got older, Dad took me up, a couple of times, into the Sierra foothills to ride dirt bikes and quads. I was sort of the odd duck in the family, because, in our family, only boys rode motorcycles. Girls rode cute pink bicycles (yes, I had a cute, pink bicycle, but I had fun riding the mini bike too). As time went by, the whole family sort of got away from motorcycles.

It has been a very long time since I've been on a motorcycle. But, when Motorcycle University (MotoU) recently offered a Social Living Deal to take a Basic Skills Class in Hayward, I jumped at the chance and signed up for the class. After taking the class, I wanted to continue and signed up for other classes.

I found out about the Curve Unit though MotoU. Our instructor encouraged us, as beginning motorcyclists, to make contact with people who ride. Thank you Amy and Jennifer for all your help to get me connected online with other women who ride. I've got lots of questions as I go though the process of learning to ride on the streets. I hope you all don't mind if I throw some of these questions your way. I hope to have the chance to meet some of you in person.

Looking forward to riding on the roads soon,
Shari
Attachments
ShariOnBike (800x572).jpg
ShariOnBike (800x572).jpg (262.59 KiB) Viewed 5963 times

BigSky
Secretary

Re: Newbie from Oakland

#2 Post by BigSky » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:03 pm

Welcome Shari! I'm so excited for you to get on a bike! I've been riding for only 2 years but I'm loving every minute of it. You are smart to seek out like-minded women, there is something about being with a group of ladies who enjoy this sport like I do. Can't wait to meet you. Like I mentioned, the Nov ride might be a good one for you.
Jen L.
Yamaha FZ-09

chiconaduc
CU Supporter

#3 Post by chiconaduc » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:41 pm

Hi Shari and welcome to the site! Love the picture of you as kid. I'm also in Oakland so let me if you want to go out for some practice rides. I hooked up with Curve Unit after spending a year commuting, and these ladies have really taught me the joys of being on two.
Wren
Kiss French, eat Italian, ride British!

"Curve: The loveliest distance between two points." -Mae West

Rollin on 3
CU Supporter

#4 Post by Rollin on 3 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:00 pm

Welcome Shari!
I'm glad you reached out to us. You can never get enough information ;) I was raised in a house of Harleys yet always wanted a sport bike. Like you I had a bucket list and well riding a motorcycle have been checked off. I am from Tracy and have a flexible schedule during the week. If you'd like to have coffee please let me know. Once you get your license and a bike I would love to ride with ya. We ( southbay/east bay) have some really nice roads to ride. Good luck to you checking off your list.

:dance:
Just Rollin
~Anamarie~

Motomom
CU Supporter

#5 Post by Motomom » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:38 am

Helloooooo Shari!!! I am so glad that you sought us out and cannot wait to meet you. I too live in Oakland and although my schedule is real busy, I would love to be a part of riding with you or meeting for coffee or whatever!! :dance:

There is no doubt I love that pic of you as a youngin on your brother's bike!!! 8-) I started out riding dirt bikes when I was young and moved on to riding street bikes once I moved here to the Bay Area.....

Anyhow, it was nice of you to post up and I look forward to meeting you soon!!
Tina....

Settle for nothing, Strive for everything!!

Special K
CU Supporter

#6 Post by Special K » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:36 am

Hi Shari - I'm so glad that you found us! You've definitely come to the right place. :grin:

The photo of you is adorable. I loved hearing your story. I grew up in a house full of Harleys, as my parents owned the local H-D dealership. I always loved sportbikes, but ended up riding on the back of my boyfriends' bikes instead. :oops: Had always wanted my own bike and finally made it happen about 5 years ago after I took the MSF class and decided to plunge in.

I look forward to meeting you and hope that you'll join us soon on one of our monthly rides.
Kelly
2011 GSX-R 750
2003 Ninja 250 (buh-bye!)
AMA #2787667
Two wrongs don't make a right. But three lefts do.

abl_star

#7 Post by abl_star » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:02 pm

Hi Everyone, Thank you for all your replies to my post.

I thought I'd post a quick note to let everyone know about my progress in learning to ride motorcycles.

I just finished MotoU's class 102 today and will be jumping into classes 103 and 104 next weekend. In today's class, we reviewed all the basics learned in class 101 and got started learning about turning and stability. I've gone to DMV to get information about getting my learners permit. Since it has been a long time since I took the written exam for my Class C license, a representative DMV told me that I need to retake my Class C written exam when I take the Class M1. So, I'm now studying for both exams.

That's all the news I have now. I hope to have more soon.
Shari (abl_star)

Rollin on 3
CU Supporter

#8 Post by Rollin on 3 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:36 pm

Hahaha. At least you are aware. I didn't know ahead of time so when I showed up I was scared. I said oh great now I'm going to fail my drivers test. The DMV rep said I will be ok plus you only take 1 side of the test. Just fyi I missed too many on my M1 test so I took a 5 minute break and reviewed the pamphlets amd retook the test and PASSED! You can do it! I'm rooting for you;)
Hope to meet you soon
Just Rollin
~Anamarie~

BigSky
Secretary

#9 Post by BigSky » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:58 am

Same thing happened to me! I couldn't believe that no one warned me I'd have to take the other test! I just barely passed.

Keep at it, Shari! I know you'll do fine next time. And it's so worth it.
Jen L.
Yamaha FZ-09

Motomom
CU Supporter

#10 Post by Motomom » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:43 pm

Oh ya... well I failed by 2 too many the first time, 1too many the second time, and when I called my bro he said 'geez go home and read the book for crying out loud!!" I passed with flying colors a week later.... lol

Anywho.... good luck and read the book.... xoxo
Tina....

Settle for nothing, Strive for everything!!

Fanny Fligurl
President

#11 Post by Fanny Fligurl » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:20 pm

Yay Shari, you made it onto the forum. Glad to have you, and I enjoy reading about your journey thus far. I can't wait until your avatar pic is riddled with bugs on that visor and oil stains on that pretty white carpet. Trust me, it WILL happen. :lol:
Humanity is a terrible thing to waste. Be patient, treat others with respect, and ride like you borrowed it indefinitely!