AMA Women's Conference Ideas

CU charity events, fundraisers, and meetings.

Moderators: NinjaMama, Fanny Fligurl, Officers

HoneyBadger
Contributing Member

AMA Women's Conference Ideas

#1 Post by HoneyBadger » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:11 pm

Hey Ladies,

Please, oh pretty please, post up here about some of the things you would hope to see at the Women's Conference - I promised to get those ideas to the planner after our January meeting, so I need to hear from you guys!

Besides the trackday (that seems a given), what else would we, as primarily sportbike/non-cruiser/non-dirt riders like to see at a conference such as this?

Post up your ideas, there's no limit on ideas!

For myself, I'd hope to see:
-A wide variety of women's sport leather and textile suits from the different manufactures and an opportunity to actually try on various sizes. Usually we're lucky if there's one kind with one of each size at these things, and I'd really, really like to get hands on and see if off the rack stuff could maybe fit me if I have a chance to actually try on a variety of things from each manufacturer.

-Clinics pertaining to experienced "spirited" street riders - organizing rides, controlling groups, skills, etc.

-Clinics pertaining to track riding, by women for women. Let's face it, we aren't guys, our bodies aren't the same, and I'd like to hear some ideas specifically for women from women.

-Advanced mechanical demos - perhaps a torn down engine(s) to actually see and touch what's inside. I've only ever been inside a generator engine, and it's been years. I think it's important for us to understand how our bikes work, and to actually get a chance to actually see the "guts" and how it all functions - again, I'd like to see a sportbike (or several bikes actually, to understand the differences in the actual mechanics between say my sport bike and a 2-stroke dirt bike).

-Opportunities to test ride bikes, without mile long lines.

"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul." ~Unknown

2017 Kawasaki ZX10R (race)
2016 Kawasaki ZX10R (street/B bike)

My Journey Towards Road Racing Blog:
http://honeybadger302.blogspot.com/?m=1

Fanny Fligurl
President

Re: AMA Women's Conference Ideas

#2 Post by Fanny Fligurl » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:11 am

Aside from RFR, I'd also like to see AMA consider not planning our conference on the same weekend the largest international sportbike gathering takes place here in the states - MotoGP!

From a spirited sportbike rider and avid track-goer, I'm highly disappointed that in order to attend the AMA Women's Conference, it means missing MotoGP @ Laguna Seca. Some of us have attended MotoGP for many years, and it's part of the sportbike culture.

On top of stating the obvious (above), I simply don't understand why AMA would schedule another largescale event on the same weekend where THEIR RACERS are competing. Let's not forget that a portion of Laguna Seca weekend is support races, which includes the AMA SuperSport class.

My single request - CHANGE THE DATE.
Humanity is a terrible thing to waste. Be patient, treat others with respect, and ride like you borrowed it indefinitely!

Motomom
CU Supporter

#3 Post by Motomom » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:48 pm

I am too new to the game here to come up with anything better than what AJ suggested. Regarding what Amy said, I agree that is seems like poor planning to do the two events on the same weekend making us having to choose between the two.

With that said, count me as a vote for all of the suggestion made by both of you.

Thanks!!
Tina....

Settle for nothing, Strive for everything!!

chiconaduc
CU Supporter

#4 Post by chiconaduc » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:57 pm

I'll third (after Tina's second) AJ's and Amy's suggestions. I can't really think of anything else to add.
Wren
Kiss French, eat Italian, ride British!

"Curve: The loveliest distance between two points." -Mae West

LadyGadget

#5 Post by LadyGadget » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:51 pm

I fourth, fifth and sixth AJ's suggestions totally. Also, I would like to know about the different engine types, ie. V-Twin, Parallel Twin, triple, etc., Simple maintenance DIY (thinking about this for all women there, I know we have our own special tech support!) like oil, coolant and brake fluid changes, brakes, what fasteners should be checked, basic stuff. Knowledge is Power and can save a lot of money! Someone like Dave Moss (I know, probably everyone who would look at our bike's suspension will be in Monterey!) to check and give suspension advice, Road riding ergonomics, tips on ways to make a bike fit those of us vertically challenged, and a workshop or discussion with all types of women riders about why they ride, why they started, etc. etc. I think that would be a valuable experience for every type rider. As a minority group within the moto sport world, we all need to back each other up regardless of what two-wheeled machine we use.

I cannot agree more with Amy's wish, but I think a change at this late date is very unlikely. I hope, however, with the strong response and suggestion from CU as well as other women, the AMA will check for other major motorcycle events in the general area they choose to hold the next conference before they select the date. Usually people in the East think places like San Francisco and Los Angeles are really close to one another, like major cities near them. It's weird they wouldn't consider Northern California close proximity to Carson City/Reno, NV. and plan accordingly.

Anyway I may think of more ideas, and I will post accordingly.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass..
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

sexy_raiderette
CU Supporter

#6 Post by sexy_raiderette » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:37 pm

Smack that person in the head who scheduled the conference and didn't realize it soon enough to change it. * extra mad face. This is ripping my guts and wanting to be in 2 places at once. I even had a poster I picked up from the IMS show for motogp and hung the poster in my cubicle cuz I was dreaming of how fun it would be to go as a group. Argh! *pulls hair Boooooo and shame on that stupid planner
Daisy R
'09 Yamaha FZ6R....GRAB A FIST FULL!!!

"If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is compromise." -Robert Fritz

maygoddess

#7 Post by maygoddess » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:55 am

Okay..will add my thoughts on this. I may be in the minority on this..but I really would not want to see this conference..like what happens "on the street"..where we segregate ourselves by bike type. I know as sport bike riders primarily..we want to see track days, track related classes or other sport stuff...but that is what track schools are for. I think this should be about women coming together, with any style bike, for the sheer fun and empowerment of riding and meeting other women who ride. We face different challenges than men, regardless of the ride. I don't think setting up a bunch of sport-only or sport specific events hits the point of the conference..but that is ME.

I say make it generically for women, no matter the ride:

-learn how to pick up your bike..sport or cruiser (I have BOTH, so I need a lesson in both very differnt bikes)

-maybe gear mfgs could send their designers to actually LISTEN to what we really want and not what they think we want..just adding some pink to a man's fit jacket won't cut it!! Whether sport or cruiser..we all need gear that fits our bodies and keeps us safe.

-a big group ride would actually be cool..all women, all bikes..riding together..a track day sounds cool..but that means the track folks segregate themselves for a day?? Maybe a "taste of the track" so it is not a complete day of it and we miss a day of conference stuff.

-Basic bike maintenance-this may be tough witha ll the different bikes out there..but perhaps emergency roadside basics..which would cover all bikes.

-women's safety- if we are out riding alone..perhaps some basic safety or security tips.

-women's clubs corner-women will be there form many different clubs I am sure...how about a place to get to learn about different clubs...some are national and some are local (like CU) but if we get any other bay area ladies there..may be a way for ladies to get to meet us..a cocktail reception for clubs to mingle??

-bike set up for shorties..many of us struggle with that in CU..I know tehre are lots of other ladies that do too..what to do to make it easier to handle your bike if you are inseam challenged.

Hopefully we will get some good vendors out...many of whom will be at MotoGP..but hopefully some will come our way..would be great to see alot of women only products for our bike without sorting through a bunch of mens' stuff first!!!

PattyA

HoneyBadger
Contributing Member

#8 Post by HoneyBadger » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:57 pm

I have forwarded our suggestions, ideas and dismay at the date to the AMA contact (also included the suggestions from BARF that were posted by the time I sent it), and will let you guys know what I hear back!

Fanny Fligurl
President

#9 Post by Fanny Fligurl » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:16 pm

Fantastic. Thanks again for spearheading this task AJ. A six-month lead time is not completely lost for hope of a date change, especially for an organization with such a strong financial backing.

Nonetheless, at least they'll know how a group of female moto-fanatics feel about it.
Humanity is a terrible thing to waste. Be patient, treat others with respect, and ride like you borrowed it indefinitely!

HoneyBadger
Contributing Member

#10 Post by HoneyBadger » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:00 am

Here is Tigra's initial response - it actually sounds like the reason we are having to choose is the fault of the MotoGP world, not the conference. Either way, they definitely can't change the date :( but hopefully our voices will at least be heard, and taken into consideration as they firm things up.

Hi AJ,

Thank you for this detailed email! This is great information and I've already started to get some things lined up based on all of this input. Please check on the website as things are confirmed, they will be posted.

I am responsible for the date and timing of the conference and want to explain to you and your riders how this came to be on the same weekend. First and foremost, we have been working to include all types of riding and the women that ride within the framework of the conference.

It came down to the wire to make a decision for the AMA International Women and Motorcycling Conference and to preserve the support and resources, need to establish the dates. The FIM and the world schedules had not been confirmed, but at the time were seriously looking at earlier dates for the race. When they coordinated the world tracks they had to place the race on the same weekend.

The IWMC is a very unique event. The AMA has always supported women riders and have tried to speak to our needs and provide resources. The AMA membership and this event also gives women riders a chance to be more visible to the manufacturers, general public and lawmakers. 2012 is an important time for us to show our numbers and strength and I hope that your members as well as all the American women riders join us in Carson City for the event.

I am working to have the women racers represented before and at the conference. For spectators, I'm also trying to find a way to have the race available. I hope that your group chooses to participate in the conference and add your voices.

I'll keep in touch with you and hope that you will keep the communication going as well!

Best Regards,
Tigra

LadyGadget

#11 Post by LadyGadget » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:11 pm

Wow. it's good to know that they didn't schedule the conference without regard to MotoGP. We're getting such good feedback, it might just be rude not to attend ":)"
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass..
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

maygoddess

#12 Post by maygoddess » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:40 am

Hmmm.....Laguna Seca is usually THAT weekend..I got stuff at the IMS show from the Laguna Seca booth that had the Moto GP weekend date already on it...weak!!

BUT....with that said..I think that since this conference only comes about every few years and won't always be as close as this (given last one was CO)...this seems the perfect opportunity for us to make a big impact on shaping THIS year's conference and years to come. MotoGP will be around every year..yeah it sucks to miss it this year...but....with only 20 CU members (counting patched and prospected)...dividing between two events would not be impactful to either event!

My thoughts...and of course..maybe I rob a bank and go to Italy for the MotoGP on July 15th at the newly named Marco Simoncelli raceway! Who wants to come??? :-D

Back to reality........
PattyA

sexy_raiderette
CU Supporter

#13 Post by sexy_raiderette » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:31 pm

stick me in ur suitcase!! i wanna go to italy!!
Daisy R
'09 Yamaha FZ6R....GRAB A FIST FULL!!!

"If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is compromise." -Robert Fritz

Motomom
CU Supporter

#14 Post by Motomom » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:26 pm

maygoddess wrote:..I think that since this conference only comes about every few years and won't always be as close as this (given last one was CO)...this seems the perfect opportunity for us to make a big impact on shaping THIS year's conference and years to come.
I second that.... for what do you always say Patty? "My 2 cents worth."?
Tina....

Settle for nothing, Strive for everything!!