Motorcyclist injured in Pleasanton hit-and-run

For the purpose of teaching others how to avoid them.

Moderators: NinjaMama, Fanny Fligurl, Officers

MistrissKittie
Curvalicious

Motorcyclist injured in Pleasanton hit-and-run

#1 Post by MistrissKittie » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:37 pm

PLEASANTON — A motorcyclist was seriously hurt Monday evening after he was struck by a car on Interstate 680, the California Highway Patrol said. The driver of the car then sped away.

The details of the hit-and-run remained murky late Monday. It occurred about 6:35 p.m. on northbound I-680, south of Bernal Avenue, CHP Officer Ralph Caggiano said.

Witnesses told officers the motorcyclist was driving at upward of 100 mph when his Suzuki GSXR750 was struck by a white BMW sedan. Other witnesses said it was the BMW that was travelling faster than 100 mph.

"When the guy (in the sedan) went by me, I knew he was going to cause an accident," said San Ramon resident Brian Hobaugh, who was driving when the collision occurred in front of him.

Caggiano said a sport utility vehicle was also involved, but it was not clear how.

The motorcyclist was thrown nearly 100 feet and bounced several times before landing face down. He was taken to Eden Medical Center in Castro Valley with moderate to major injuries.

The white sedan reportedly drove away with a flat front tire. Caggiano said the CHP has information leading to a suspect.
ImageImage