My "mishap"

For the purpose of teaching others how to avoid them.

Moderators: NinjaMama, Fanny Fligurl, Officers

Special K
CU Supporter

My "mishap"

#1 Post by Special K » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:54 pm

So, I had a mishap on Sunday morning that happened right in front of Patty A's house. I'll explain the scenario - and my take on things - but I would be interested in hearing from some of the more experienced riders with advice on what I could have done better/different. This comes from a place of sincerity, so I'd appreciate it if any flaming could be held until later.

Every time I get on my bike it's a learning experience for me and this is no different. I don't screw around on my bike, no wheelies, etc. so I feel particularly frustrated by this incident. I know what happened and why, and will learn from it for sure, but I'm having a hard time reconciling how I could have changed my outcome both beforehand and during. Yes, Tina, I'm still beating myself up. :(

Driving to Patty's house, I missed the turn for her street, so I U-turn and come back. Never been there before so I don't know exactly where I'm going, but have directions taped to my tank so I know I missed her street and need to backtrack. Looking for a right turn onto Daniel Drive... I approach it but can't clearly read the street sign so I'm not in the right hand turn lane for her gated entry, but rather I'm to the far right of my lane on the main road, looking to my right. As I approach I realize it is my turn, so I get on the brakes but know that I'm not going to make the entrance so my plan was to use the exit portion of the main entrance as my place to turn around and come back to the entrance. Looking right, on the brakes (not hard enough to lock the wheels or induce a skid) and bam, low-side on my right. Bike goes down and skids maybe two feet -- as I was going pretty slow for my turn. Fluid everywhere in street and a freaked out driver behind me who stopped to help. :)

After I pick up my bike I go back to look in the road and can see an inverted triangle shape, of fine sand, with a straight-line skid right through the middle of it. The sand is nearly the same color as the pavement, so even now I'm barely seeing it when I'm 10 feet away. So, there's my answer as to what happened! I had traction on pavement under braking, then suddenly no traction in the sand, and apparently when I hit pavement again I never regained traction combined with me looking right caused my body weight to be shifted in that direction already.

I never saw the sand because I was looking up at street signs and to the right as I went past the entrance. So, I could have changed the outcome of this beforehand if I had been scanning the street for debris and sand, seen it, planned for it/avoided it!

I'm ok, bruised right knee. Bike was towed to the dealer and is in the process of having minor damage fixed under insurance. Scrapes to the fairings, clutch case replaced, windscreen, and turn signal. Should be back to new before May 5.

Any other words of wisdom for future reference?
Kelly
2011 GSX-R 750
2003 Ninja 250 (buh-bye!)
AMA #2787667
Two wrongs don't make a right. But three lefts do.

Motomom
CU Supporter

Re: My "mishap"

#2 Post by Motomom » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:09 pm

I just want to say that I am soooooo grateful that you were not seriously hurt and that you are looking to be on the road again before May 5th. ;-)
Tina....

Settle for nothing, Strive for everything!!

chiconaduc
CU Supporter

#3 Post by chiconaduc » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:16 pm

I'm the last person who should be giving advice on how to stay upright on two wheels, so all I'm gonna say is I'm really glad you're OK! Bikes are reparable/replaceable; you're not.
Wren
Kiss French, eat Italian, ride British!

"Curve: The loveliest distance between two points." -Mae West

Special K
CU Supporter

#4 Post by Special K » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:33 pm

Thank you both!

Tina and Patty A were great: helping me get the bike to the driveway, Tina cleaned up the clutch fluid in the street, Patty got on the phone and dispatched Carl to assess the damage, and then came the requisite supply of ice/Advil. True sisters! :) And, of course, the run-around with AMA roadside assistance was worth a few laughs in between!

All good. I'll be happy to have my baby back next week, looking just like she used to.
Kelly
2011 GSX-R 750
AMA #2787667

Rollin on 3
CU Supporter

#5 Post by Rollin on 3 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:24 pm

OMG! I am sooo glad you are ok, what an efin trooper!!! but Ive known you to go down and right back up like a wibble wabble,hahahha Im not experienced so we will learn together on what you could have done before. But I can say that if you pass a street up again just make a simple uturn and try it again :)

I can share a story, just fyi: I was riding fast on my spyder and tried to stop at a yellow light but of course I was going way too fast to stop. I slide and instead of going thru the intersection I looked to the right and it was clear, I then swooped over made a sharp right and then pulled over to make a turn around. I pissed my pants and thanked god. It all could have been avoided if I would have 1. been going the speed limit, who does that and 2 gunned it through the red light!

I know this is about you but I had to share :) love ya and so thankful you are safe!!!
and now last but not least>>>> :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:
Just Rollin
~Anamarie~

CrashDummy
CU Supporter

#6 Post by CrashDummy » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:10 pm

I think what happened is you did get traction after the sand. The sand could have already had the wheel washing out to the left because you were looking and leaning slightly to the right. At under 5 mph if you are leaning and hit the front brake the bike will come to an immediate stop, without skidding, but the forward momentum gets transferred to slamming you on the side you are leaning. Low speed maneuvers have put me on the ground like a clown on a tricycle at the circus. Where you wearing knee pads? They really protect a very vulnerable part of the body. A twenty dollar pair at Cycle Gear will work.
How to make a small fortune racing ... start with a large one.

Go into a corner with a little less speed and come out faster

Fanny Fligurl
President

#7 Post by Fanny Fligurl » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:11 pm

With pure sincerity sister, there's nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing you could or should have done differently. In fact, I'd like to flip your thought process for a loop here.

You didn't panic, didn't grab a handful of front brake like a jumping spider, and didn't hit another vehicle. "Ghost sand" could have happened to any one of us, so neither seat time nor experience would have prevented your outcome, unless of course you know how to defy the laws of physics. :grin:

I truly believe your mature composure and ability to "fall with grace" contributed to lessening a blow that could have been much worse. In addition, I'm so thankful you did not have vehicles immediately behind you. :pray:

Don't let this discourage you Kelly, as I know you're a good rider. Cautious, respectful of both the riders around you and for the sport itself.

If there was one very small piece of advise, I guess it would be to just pass up your intended turn next time, rather than having to rush execution. With that said, I would have done exactly what you did, because I'm impatient and wouldn't have wasted time finding another place to turn around. :lol:
Humanity is a terrible thing to waste. Be patient, treat others with respect, and ride like you borrowed it indefinitely!

Special K
CU Supporter

#8 Post by Special K » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:08 pm

Thanks, Amy for your input. :)

I think I'm extra frustrated because I had a "backup plan" and was thinking ahead, and was in the process of executing it when this happened. I knew I couldn't make the turn at the entry because I was already too far past it. And turning while braking or turning at such a severe angle in order to make the turn -- I knew wasn't going to work out in my favor. So I was going for the exit portion of the driveway which was the next available open/safe area to turn around and go back into the proper driveway entrance. That alone is out of character for me to be patient -- especially considering this was already the SECOND time I had missed the turn!

So, even with a plan, accepting my mistake (of missing the entry), and proceeding to the next available spot to turn around... it still happened.
Jesus H, I'll probably NEVER stop kicking my own ass for this. :evil:

Bikes don't just fall over for no reason. AND I was riding in a straight line! How dumb can I be? Totally my fault. Gack! Why does learning have to be so painful sometimes? :)
Kelly
2011 GSX-R 750
AMA #2787667

maygoddess

#9 Post by maygoddess » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:04 pm

kelly! Glad you and your bike are on the mend! Hopefully you are back on the GSX-R in no time at all!

Sooooooo...I was not sure how you would feel about Carl's post crash analysis..but since you asked..I thought I would share..he took a pic on his way out and sent it to me with what he thought happened based on the gravel and skid marks and oil spill. It may be off from what you believe happened..but could be spot on.

Like Amy said...$hit happens..and no matter your best intentions sometime..there are the unknown variables like gravel you cannot see..oil or other slippery surfaces...with microseconds to react!

But..your attitude right after..other than being pissed of course..is you cannot wait to get back on the bike...dust yourself off..pick yourself up and move on..which is what you are doing!

Hope the knee is feeling better...ATTGAT!!!!

PattyA
Attachments
kellysspill.jpg
kellysspill.jpg (152.68 KiB) Viewed 6132 times

maygoddess

#10 Post by maygoddess » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:03 pm

Oooh...forgot to add...given Kelly's experience with trying to get AMA Roadside assistance and failing..I would personally no longer rely that we actually have coverage with our membership. Kelly was bounced from AMA to some other roadside assistance company and back again..told they were closed (WTF??) and then finally just gave up. Luckily with a 2nd phone call to Geico and a rep that didn't have her head up her wahoo like the first rep..she got the two tows that she needed.

With that said..I just re-signed up with AAA for their Premier membership. Appears to be the only one that offers motorycle towing. $119 a year...200 mile tows...I think totally worth the extra investment. My ex-hubby cancelled our long standing AAA membership years ago when he became a Farmer's Agent..changed our insurance to Farmer's and found out they offer roadside assistance..but I think having AAA as backup..or just using AAA and not having to deal with the insurance company nonsense..worth it!

Just wanted to pass that on. Totally disappointed in the AMA alleged Roadside Assistance program..luckily Kelly was not stuck along side of a highway trying to get this done! Sigh!!

PattyA

Fanny Fligurl
President

#11 Post by Fanny Fligurl » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:40 am

Special K wrote:...Bikes don't just fall over for no reason...
In a perfect world, this statement would be the truth of all truths. But in my 15 years of riding (street, track, sand, and dirt) I've seen plenty of bikes fall over/go down for no apparent reason.

In the spirit of giving examples: Turn #23 @ RFR coming onto straight - Guy directly in front of me slides out for no apparent reason. I'm following the EXACT same line he is, as we were only a tire's length apart. I managed to execute safely, while he gathered himself in the dirt on the side of the track. If logic and physics were always 100% accurate, I should have slid out right behind him. Our body positioning, speed, mechanics, braking, and down-shifting were mirrored but yet only one of us made it. That's not skill or technique, that's pure luck/coincidence.

Bikes do fall over for no apparent reason sometimes sis. Please, for the love of sanity, don't drive yourself crazy trying to figure it out, when ultimately, there's no right answer. Too many variables to consider! You did what every one of us would have done (missed your turn and executed Plan B). Damn sand!
:evil: :doh:
Humanity is a terrible thing to waste. Be patient, treat others with respect, and ride like you borrowed it indefinitely!

CrashDummy
CU Supporter

#12 Post by CrashDummy » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:40 am

maygoddess wrote:Oooh...forgot to add...given Kelly's experience with trying to get AMA Roadside assistance and failing..I would personally no longer rely that we actually have coverage with our membership. Kelly was bounced from AMA to some other roadside assistance company and back again..told they were closed (WTF??) and then finally just gave up. Luckily with a 2nd phone call to Geico and a rep that didn't have her head up her wahoo like the first rep..she got the two tows that she needed.

With that said..I just re-signed up with AAA for their Premier membership. Appears to be the only one that offers motorycle towing. $119 a year...200 mile tows...I think totally worth the extra investment. My ex-hubby cancelled our long standing AAA membership years ago when he became a Farmer's Agent..changed our insurance to Farmer's and found out they offer roadside assistance..but I think having AAA as backup..or just using AAA and not having to deal with the insurance company nonsense..worth it!

Just wanted to pass that on. Totally disappointed in the AMA alleged Roadside Assistance program..luckily Kelly was not stuck along side of a highway trying to get this done! Sigh!!

PattyA

Thanks for passing that on Patty. I didn't know AAA offered that service. It is too bad the free AMA service for members was useless. It was the first time I heard the result of someone trying to use it. I had my doubts about it years ago when a motorcycle only tow rig was dropping a bike off at the old Pineapple Honda in Oakland. The tow truck driver/owner had the truck made just for motorcycle towing. I asked him if he had contacted AMA about being on their list of available tow companies? He said he had but they said no thanks. Back then the service wasn't included free with membership. If they are not going to have good oversight of the program maybe the AMA should stay out of the towing business and do what they do best which is protect our right to ride. The AMA does a lot of good. I will post on another forum what they are doing for motorcyclists currently.
How to make a small fortune racing ... start with a large one.

Go into a corner with a little less speed and come out faster

Motomom
CU Supporter

#13 Post by Motomom » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:06 pm

Fanny Fligurl wrote:Please, for the love of sanity, don't drive yourself crazy trying to figure it out, when ultimately, there's no right answer. [/b][/color] :evil: :doh:
I agree.... gosh darn it!!! :lol:
Tina....

Settle for nothing, Strive for everything!!

LadyGadget

#14 Post by LadyGadget » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:30 pm

RE: Towing Services

Well I had an excellent experience with the AMA roadside service. But I think backups are good to have. I've got Geico, AAA, AMA, and Kawasaki (who was also good, towed my my bike to my house from work.) I assume all 4 of them could be hit and miss. We've had AAA for over 25 years and sometimes they are not so great about showing up in a timely manner.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass..
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

maygoddess

#15 Post by maygoddess » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:00 pm

CrashDummy wrote:
maygoddess wrote:Oooh...forgot to add...given Kelly's experience with trying to get AMA Roadside assistance and failing..I would personally no longer rely that we actually have coverage with our membership. Kelly was bounced from AMA to some other roadside assistance company and back again..told they were closed (WTF??) and then finally just gave up. Luckily with a 2nd phone call to Geico and a rep that didn't have her head up her wahoo like the first rep..she got the two tows that she needed.

PattyA

Thanks for passing that on Patty. I didn't know AAA offered that service. It is too bad the free AMA service for members was useless. It was the first time I heard the result of someone trying to use it. I had my doubts about it years ago when a motorcycle only tow rig was dropping a bike off at the old Pineapple Honda in Oakland. The tow truck driver/owner had the truck made just for motorcycle towing. I asked him if he had contacted AMA about being on their list of available tow companies? He said he had but they said no thanks. Back then the service wasn't included free with membership. If they are not going to have good oversight of the program maybe the AMA should stay out of the towing business and do what they do best which is protect our right to ride. The AMA does a lot of good. I will post on another forum what they are doing for motorcyclists currently.

Unfortunately I think AMA uses their "roadside assistance" as a selling tool to convince folks to buy the memberships. It was just rediculous that Kelly was bounced back and forth on the phone and kept being told they were "closed". It's a SUNDAY..when folks are out riding and would mostly likely need help! Like I said if she was sitting on the side of the road and not sitting in my comfy home making all these phone calls..it just would have been cruel and unusual punishment.

I say have backups upon backups! My friend went on a road trip around northern california up to OR border practically..yosemite, tahoe, sierras..etc.. as he was way up there, his bike broke down. He had just purchased AAA Premier...and was able to get several 200 mile tows to get all the way home. He said that whole tow would have costed him abouut $2400 without the tow.

I have Foremost which is supposed to have some type of roadside help..I have AAA premier now and well...have AMA..but that will be my LAST call!