My "mishap"

For the purpose of teaching others how to avoid them.

Moderators: NinjaMama, Fanny Fligurl, Officers

Rollin on 3
CU Supporter

Re: My "mishap"

#16 Post by Rollin on 3 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:56 pm

that run a round sucks! I have aaa, gieco and ama
Just Rollin
~Anamarie~

HoneyBadger
Contributing Member

#17 Post by HoneyBadger » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:10 am

Kelly, definitely glad you are okay, the bike is fixable, and that we'll see you out on her again soon!

Being on another "bigger" bike, I can really only share my own experiences...low speed is where the bigger bikes really get you into trouble quickly. My own two get offs on my bike were both at or below 30mph. The biggest issue that we run into is that there is a very fine line with our clutch/throttle between nice and easy, and just a little too much. Add in any other issues, and something that may be okay on perfect surfaces with warm tires and everything else in order, suddenly becomes a major issue and the difference between staying up - or not. That, and everything just happens - well, faster, which means less time to react in those situations.

As for what happened, I would hazard a guess (that's all it is) is that you were kinda braking hard-ish, and I'm guessing you either had the clutch in or in some part of the friction zone. I would then guess that as you started to turn you began to apply just a little more power/let the clutch out a bit, which was just enough to let the rear tire start to spin up in the sand - and since it was already free wheeling from the sand, once off of it, between that and your lean, it probably spun out and under, or attempted to grip and your positioning/direction made it step out (or it tried to grip and you unconciously overcorrected with the front, basically spinning the bike off the rear tire.

Getting used to a little slip-n-slide will probably help you a lot if/when you encounter a similar situation. My only other suggestion is that when presented with these situations and a last minute decision, until you are super used to your bike (or longer as my last trackday and "almost crash" proved lol) is if you're having to make a last second decision, and you have a less demanding option (say, going and flipping another U-turn or just pulling up straight past and backing in, go with the easier option. Getting into that frame of thinking can be hard, especially when you're more used to a more maneuverable machine (I had my front tire stuffed under the bumper of an S10 in San Fran once before I figured this out - thankfully the truck was tall enough that I didn't make contact, but if they had been a car, I would have bumped into them).

No sense in beating yourself up from it - great on you for asking for advice, especially when we're at a bit of a loss other's viewpoints can help us see what we may be able to work on in the future. But what's happened has happened, keep your chin up, don't beat yourself up, just chalk it up to a cheap(er) learning experience and ride on!
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul." ~Unknown

2017 Kawasaki ZX10R (race)
2016 Kawasaki ZX10R (street/B bike)

My Journey Towards Road Racing Blog:
http://honeybadger302.blogspot.com/?m=1

Hurricane
CU Supporter

#18 Post by Hurricane » Tue May 01, 2012 5:50 am

Im glad you are okay sis!! Im sorry about this happening and believe me I know the feeling! I also was going to state the same viewpoint is AJ. I was going to suggest that I have a strong guess that in anyother scenerio that sand would bring you down quick and hard that maybe you were slightly clutching or downshifting as you were braking and entered the sand. This with your lean after resuming traction would bring you down quick.
"When in fear, Shift a gear"