Distracted driving or assault with a deadly weapon?

For the purpose of teaching others how to avoid them.

Moderators: NinjaMama, Fanny Fligurl, Officers

chiconaduc
CU Supporter

Distracted driving or assault with a deadly weapon?

#1 Post by chiconaduc » Sun May 20, 2012 3:21 pm

The tagline reads "Driver assaulted by motorcyclists". Really?!? The driver was using his cellphone to video a group of bikers on the freeway and hit two of them first.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... .DTL&tsp=1
Wren
Kiss French, eat Italian, ride British!

"Curve: The loveliest distance between two points." -Mae West

Motomom
CU Supporter

Re: Distracted driving or assault with a deadly weapon?

#2 Post by Motomom » Sun May 20, 2012 3:37 pm

I see not one party being more guilty than the other. Both were irresponsible in their actions and somebody could have been killed!! Jack-o-lanterns!! :-x but that is my own opinion.
Tina....

Settle for nothing, Strive for everything!!

LadyGadget

#3 Post by LadyGadget » Sun May 20, 2012 7:30 pm

Tina,

Didn't you know? All motorcyclists hate prius drivers. It's in the oath you signed when you bought your first street motorcycle!

Bwaaaaa!

Seriously,

The Prius driver should not have been using his cell phone to video anyone while driving

the "bikers" either were thugs on two wheels, or really ticked that one of their friends got nailed by the Prius asshat.. Either way, the folks on the bikes should have just made sure their friend was ok, moved on, and laughed their jack 0' lanterns off about how much money it was going to cost to fix that fancy little "green and small footprint" ugly car.

And another thing - what happens to all those toxic batteries in the Prius when they wear out? And they will wear out. Much sooner than a conventional car's power plant. And every dime the owner thought they saved in gas, will go to buying a new battery pack which I understand is in the thousands of dollars.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass..
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

HoneyBadger
Contributing Member

#4 Post by HoneyBadger » Sun May 20, 2012 10:22 pm

Sorry, but if some dipshit in a cage (Prius or not, although that may only enhance the situation) loses control of their vehicle because they're too busy playing with their damn phone and takes out TWO of my sisters (or any of my friends) in the process, and lands completely unscathed - well, let's just say there's going to be more than words exchanged.

Got what he had coming IMO, I have no sympathy whatsoever, and in fact, I wish a little more of this was allowed.

Hate me for it or not, but I've been hit by a car, and I've seen WAY too many deaths of bikers by reckless car drivers to have any sympathy for this driver. Hell, there was ANOTHER fatality TODAY from some cage taking out a bike!

Cage vs bike and the biker is always going to lose.

ETA, the bikers were NOT okay - both were hauled off in ambulances, and the only reason the car driver was hauled off was because next time, he'll be damn sure to think twice about playing with his phone while driving.
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul." ~Unknown

2017 Kawasaki ZX10R (race)
2016 Kawasaki ZX10R (street/B bike)

My Journey Towards Road Racing Blog:
http://honeybadger302.blogspot.com/?m=1

LadyGadget

#5 Post by LadyGadget » Mon May 21, 2012 7:40 am

"The Prius, he said, bounced off the 4-foot dividing wall and took down a second motorcycle before coming to a stop. Witnesses then reported seeing bikers beating the Prius driver, who later told investigators that he was threatened with a knife as well.

The Prius driver and the two motorcyclists were taken by ambulances to hospitals to be treated for minor injuries."

While I sympathize with the bike riders upset at the asshat Prius driver, some yelling and insults would be enough. Beating and threatening with a deadly weapon is overkill, plus it's what will get one's jack o'lantern thrown in jail. And those brave bikers made sure to disappear before the cops showed up and left their so called "brothers" to rot on the side of the road. Excellent.

Fanny Fligurl
President

#6 Post by Fanny Fligurl » Mon May 21, 2012 10:03 am

LadyGadget wrote:...Beating and threatening with a deadly weapon is overkill...
Hmmmm...a cage weighing 3042 lbs. (according to Toyota), or a bike of all 400 lbs...If we're really talking about deadly weapons here, let's call a spade a spade. The Prius didn't just threaten to use a deadly weapon, HE DID USE A DEADLY WEAPON!

If that cager would have mowed over one of you girls (or two of you in this case), you bet your sweet asses that after we have medical help on the way for you, my helmet would then transform from a safety device to a handheld battering ram! Cagers all too often endanger motorcyclists w/ little to no repercussions. I say this was justice in its rawest and ugliest form, but justice nonetheless.

P.S. - I love this thread, to cover all sides of the spectrum, and to learn more about our dynamic group of gals. There's no wrong or right here, just differing opinions. Keep them coming sisters...
Humanity is a terrible thing to waste. Be patient, treat others with respect, and ride like you borrowed it indefinitely!

chiconaduc
CU Supporter

#7 Post by chiconaduc » Mon May 21, 2012 10:11 am

LadyGadget wrote: Didn't you know? All motorcyclists hate prius drivers. It's in the oath you signed when you bought your first street motorcycle!
Not me. My dad drives one. And he's not a tree-hugger; he's an engineer who just thinks they're cool...
LadyGadget wrote: And another thing - what happens to all those toxic batteries in the Prius when they wear out? And they will wear out. Much sooner than a conventional car's power plant. And every dime the owner thought they saved in gas, will go to buying a new battery pack which I understand is in the thousands of dollars.
...and his is a first generation that's still going strong. NO sign of the battery giving out any time soon.
Personally, I hate a very different type of vehicle (they're stupid, useless, and vain) but won't dis anyone for driving them because people can waste their money on status symbols and gas all they want.

Does anyone know how California's "Stand Your Ground" law works? Does it only apply to protecting your home? Because I think the bikers could use that as a defense.
Wren

LadyGadget

#8 Post by LadyGadget » Mon May 21, 2012 10:16 am

Don't misunderstand, but although the bikers had every reason to be pissed off, the only thing bystanders saw were a bunch of bikers beating up on one guy (albeit an idiot, stupid ass, you name it) Nice image for all us to have to undo? The fact that none of his "brothers" were there when the authorities arrived tells me they have a few character flaws too.

I know if my sisters were giving someone an ass-whipping on my behalf, they'd stay with me until help arrived, even it it meant going to the pokey!

So Sisters, please don't beat up anyone for me. :naughty: I don't think you'd like jail very much, you're all way too good looking and ...... well... :whistle:

Fanny Fligurl
President

#9 Post by Fanny Fligurl » Mon May 21, 2012 10:20 am

LadyGadget wrote:...I know if my sisters were giving someone an ass-whipping on my behalf, they'd stay with me until help arrived, even it it meant going to the pokey!...
Totally agree with your first paragraph! And 100000% agree even more with the above. I'm not dodging law enforcement, especially when they are a useful resource to counteract the poor picture our lovely press paints of us. I'm still going to rearrange someone's face for you Patty J., and I'll accept responsibility for my actions in the block for a short stint. What kind of mommy would I be if I didn't teach my daughter to stand up for herself, even if it means punishment? ;-)
Humanity is a terrible thing to waste. Be patient, treat others with respect, and ride like you borrowed it indefinitely!

chiconaduc
CU Supporter

#10 Post by chiconaduc » Mon May 21, 2012 10:29 am

LadyGadget wrote: So Sisters, please don't beat up anyone for me. :naughty: I don't think you'd like jail very much, you're all way too good looking and ...... well... :whistle:
Too late! :lol:
Wren

LadyGadget

#11 Post by LadyGadget » Mon May 21, 2012 10:52 am

"Does anyone know how California's "Stand Your Ground" law works? Does it only apply to protecting your home? Because I think the bikers could use that as a defense."

Thank god we don't have one of those here. But if we did live in Florida, Texas, or some other BFE state, how would it be self defense when the driver was out of the car and injured? How would the bikers claim that they were in imminent danger when the "deadly weapon" was not operational???

Ok and here is a true story as to why I can't stand most prius drivers/owners:

Hubby is at airport to pick up owners/passengers. Onto the tarmac rolls two Prius'. Mr is in one, and Mrs in the other. (why they are in separate cars coming from the same place beats me??? LOL) They get out of their respective Prius "green" vehicles, and proceed to tell hubby how they have gotten rid of their Escalade and Cadillac and how proud they are to have shrunken their "carbon footprint".

Then they both board their Gulfstream IV jet that will burn 5000 pounds (736 gallons)/hr for first hour and 3000 pounds/(442 gallons)hr for every hour after that of fuel. That's about 2500 gallons of fuel. For only 2 people flying to Hawaii from the Bay Area. Carbon footprint my ass.

While that is the worst I've heard, for some reason the owners I know seem so smug, self-righteous and generally hypocritical. The electric part only works in city stop and go.(which is a good thing) But on the highway, they use just as much gas as any other car. And unless it's a San Francisco cab driver on 101, they're all going as fast or faster than me. I'm just not drinking the Prius kool-aid.

And everyone's got their own taste and preference, but IMHO, the Toyota Prius is the butt ugliest car on the road except for the occasional Pontiac Aztec.

HoneyBadger
Contributing Member

#12 Post by HoneyBadger » Mon May 21, 2012 12:14 pm

I think it's great that we can all have differing opinions about this one - but I'll take my lumps for handing out lumps to anyone who hurts one of my sisters/friends/buddies/pals...the good ol' State of California sure as shit ain't gonna do anything (I can attest to this from being a cop myself), and I'll take an overnight in jail for handing out a little street justice in this kind of an instance...I know I wouldn't be there any longer than that, my record is too squeaky otherwise :) Hell, if I could post bail I'd probably be out quicker than they could process me!

But I think it's awesome that we all have differing takes on these things - we may not agree, but color is the flavor of life!
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul." ~Unknown

2017 Kawasaki ZX10R (race)
2016 Kawasaki ZX10R (street/B bike)

My Journey Towards Road Racing Blog:
http://honeybadger302.blogspot.com/?m=1

CrashDummy
CU Supporter

#13 Post by CrashDummy » Mon May 21, 2012 12:52 pm

This thread has it all. I agree with Patty but I may not push start her bike again for referring to my car as butt-ugly. :grin:
How to make a small fortune racing ... start with a large one.

Go into a corner with a little less speed and come out faster

LadyGadget

#14 Post by LadyGadget » Mon May 21, 2012 1:35 pm

Hey, I call 'em as I see 'em. But that's just me :grin:

And I did say most, not all.....

Rollin on 3
CU Supporter

#15 Post by Rollin on 3 » Mon May 21, 2012 2:29 pm

Ok, so yesterday I met a few ppl that witness the incident. Although they didnt share details it was obvious it wasnt a big deal, they were just mad to be stuck in traffic.lol

Later my husband learned about the news and quickly asked if CU was envolved, concerened about their safety. I said No the ladies arent in this area that I know of. He said, hahahah well find out who kicked the drivers ass.hahah Id like to know what happened. Are they your friends? I said No! My friends wouldnt do that. (Wink!wink!)

I would definitely kick some ass if this happened to you ladies! But depends on the whole situation.

Today, I read that the driver was only 19. This leads me to think he was driving his parents car and excited to see riders and was clicking away. This was a stupid move and accidently lost control of his car.
I have been a waiting victim myself because I have had my picture taken several times. I usually strike a pose and zoom ahead. This definitely gives me something to think about for next time.

Now, if this was a road rage incident where the driver was being a dumb butt then hell ya I"m reacting and will ask questions later. I will never run because this make matters worse and Id rather sit with a smile knowing justice was served my way on the street
than having their hand slapped by the law.
Just Rollin
~Anamarie~